Solid Waste Worker
Summary: Under close supervision, performs basic labor tasks in the collecting and transferring of solid waste for the Solid Waste division; operates vehicles, equipment, and tools in compliance with all safety regulations and standard procedures.
Essential Functions: — Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs a variety of unskilled and semi-skilled labor tasks; assists with collecting and transferring solid waste, refuse, and discarded materials; cross-trains in a variety of Solid Waste division skills.
- Assists in maintaining vehicles and equipment, in compliance with Solid Waste division safety regulations and procedures.
- Utilizes proper safety precautions in all work performed; reports problems and emergency situations; recognizes, avoids, and reports unsafe acts, conditions, accidents, and injuries.
- Supports the divisional operations with regular and timely attendance.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Odessa and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines:
- High School Diploma or GED preferred
- Related work experience is preferred, but not required.
- Basic safety procedures and regulations.
- Safe and efficient operation and maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Learning and following standard operating and safety procedures.
- Closely following verbal and written instructions and procedures.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
License and certification requirements: Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s license. A Texas State Class B CDL is required within12 months of employment.
Physical demands and working environment: Work is performed indoors, outdoors, and at City facilities; requires constant physical efforts, and the ability to bend, reach, stoop, and lift objects; may be exposed to safety hazards and dangerous tools and equipment; safety precautions must be followed, including use of safety equipment. City approved safety shoes must be worn.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.
To apply for this job please visit www.applicantpro.com.